Fwd: [RC] annual rabies or not? - desertrydr1

Whether or not annual rabies immunization is recommended/required depends in large part on where you live, and whether or not rabies is endemic in your area.  I live in SE Washington state, and have never vaccinated any of my horses for rabies, because it is not a common problem here.  In my area, it is only transmitted by bats, not skunks, raccoons, coyotes, etc.  We have had one case of rabies in a cat a couple years ago, a bat variant.  No rabies in dogs in the state in decades.  There was a purported case of rabies in a horse in 1992, but there was a lot of controversy because the testing wasn't totally conclusive, so they treated it as if it was rabies, just to be safe.  In areas where rabies is common in terrestrial animals, you bet I would be vaccinating as often as recommended.  jeri