[RC] annual rabies or not? - sherman

Is a second vaccination recommended so soon, even if a rabid skunk was in the horse’s pasture?

Kathy

I definately keep all my horses (and dogs) vaccinated for rabies. Brazos Valley
is a hotbed for rabid skunks - usually see 2-5 per year, and the number is
increasing. Actually am awaiting the State lab to send the results on a skunk
that was found and shot in my geldings pasture on Friday in midday showing
neurologic problems. Will go ahead and booster everyone again, even though they
were all vaccinated in January. Rabies is a core vaccine because the vaccine is
very effective and the disease is deadly. That's good enough for me.

Kris