Re: [RC] [RC] a really weird trailer ?? - Dyane Smith

I agree with Kathy that having someone help you teach the mare to load herself would be good.  Nevertheless, my worst nightmare scenario is that I will be putting the ramp either up or down and the horse starts to come out.  Can we all say squished horse owner?

I have a gelding that learned to undo the bar at the front of the trailer.  Only by luck and the fact that he had been hauled a lot loose in another trailer prevented a mess (I have the Brenderup with the front unload ramp).  I got the front bar re-rigged to hopefully prevent more shenanigans, but I would sure recommend that after the mare learns to load herself, you get a butt bar.  I don't think they could be all that expensive.  Probably your local machine shop could make you one easily.

Dyane

Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] a really weird trailer ??

I think that you should get help from a professional to teach your horse to load and stand in the trailer rather than further jury-rigging your trailer to accommodate her.  You want her to be well-trained so that it's not an issue in case she has to be hauled by someone else.

I hired someone to help me with my mare's trailer loading issues, and she pretty much accomplished that in one lesson.

I started doing Parelli, and had to re-learn to load my other horse by "sending" him into the trailer rather than leading him in.