Re: [RC] [RC] a really weird trailer ?? - Kathy Mayeda

I think that you should get help from a professional to teach your horse to load and stand in the trailer rather than further jury-rigging your trailer to accommodate her.  You want her to be well-trained so that it's not an issue in case she has to be hauled by someone else.

I hired someone to help me with my mare's trailer loading issues, and she pretty much accomplished that in one lesson.

I started doing Parelli, and had to re-learn to load my other horse by "sending" him into the trailer rather than leading him in.  It was really amusing because my horse got real reactive when the Parelli instructor tried to load him and he blew up.  She asked how I ever got him into the trailer - "I just walked him in."  I always had to tie him in to close the divider, but with a Parelli instructor, she made him learn to stand in place.

I'm not saying that Parelli is the only way, in fact, the woman who solved my mare's issue had passed a couple of levels in Parelli, but she did not use his methods in resolving my mare's issues.  She walked my mare into the trailer and stood with her until she relaxed, which Parelli would never teach in the program.  So if a Parelli-only horse gets walked into the trailer, what happens?

After this, I believe the ideally the horse should be trained to be both "sent" into the trailer and "walked" into trailer and learn to stand in place once loaded so that in any emergency situation there aren't loading issues.

K.