Re: [RC] heavy ramp - Barbara McCrary

We used to have a large truck for hauling stock and horses.  For the horses, we had a ramp, a long one because of the height they had to climb.  This was a regular 1.5 ton flatbed that we equipped with a homemade box and entry gateway on the left end.  We attached a couple of heavy-duty springs to the sides of the ramp/door, and with just one good heave to lift the ramp off the ground, the springs took over the load and swung the ramp up into place.  We built a manger in front and loaded three horses abreast facing forward.  Then we slid in a bar behind the three and loaded another horse in sideways behind the three.  We always loaded one certain horse in last, because he was the one willing to come out of this slot and down the ramp backwards.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:07 AM
Subject: [RC] heavy ramp

Thanks everyone for you input on low trailer/high truck syndrome! Turns out to be a pretty easy fix. Next question.  The trailer has a ramp which is way to heavy for me to be lifting everytime I go anywhere with my horse...has anyone had a lift assist device installed on their trailer? What are the best kinds? Thanks! Sandy