RE: [RC] from pasture to hay before a ride - Ranelle Rubin

Tammy,

That is a definite problem, and you are wise to be concerned, even wiser to ask for help. Is there a pasture buddy you can put with him when you pull him off pasture? Is there a way to fence off just a portion of the pasture?

I had a horse colic once just moving from summer to winter pasture..winter pasture was in the NV desert with no grass, while summer was a huge lush meadow in Tahoe. I learned that year to lock him up over night each day of the week before I moved him. I locked him up in a pen next to other horses so he wouldn't stress about 4 or 5 pm, then turned him back out around 8am. I wouldn't completely pull him off the pasture, but maybe just at night with some dry forage that he really likes..a nice Grass/Alfalfa mix of meadow/orchard grass (like 20% alfalfa) would be my choice.

Also, probiotic of some sort might be a good idea? Maybe grass hay pellets?? Hay pellets soaked may be a good ride food for this horse, but I would be sure he is getting them for a few weeks before the ride as well in small amts.

Good luck!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx