RE: [RC] Question on odd heart rate on two TWH - RHONDA LEVINSON

Although Keith has a lot more experience than I do, I would just say from my two horse experience, I think it depends on the horse.

My first Walking horse had a much lower heart rate at the pace than any other gait.  He has a gorgeous canter, but his heart rate would go pretty high in it.  He could do a running walk, but his heart rate would go even higher than for the canter.  He only racked with me once and I was having so much fun, I didn't look at the monitor until it was too late.  I have never seen him trot in the 12 years I've owned him, so I have no idea what his heart rate would be like in a trot.  :-)

My Walking horse mare, on the other hand, doesn't pace at all (even at liberty), and had a very high heart rate in her running walk and foxtrot (she does both).  She go up to 160 bpm and sometimes higher.  However, if I would let her go to the canter, her heart rate would immediately drop to the 120-130 range.  If I let her trot, she'd be 80-130 depending on the terrain.  She also had a weird mid-range gait where she canters with her hind legs and trots in front, and her heart rate would be lower than the canter in that gait.  I was told by a "gaited expert" that this gait was hard on her back, so I didn't let her do it much.

Basically, what I did with both of these horses is to tell them what speed I wanted and then let them chose what gait they used to accomplish that.  Probably poor training, but . . .

Rhonda