[RC] from pasture to hay before a ride - Tammy Shuck

Hi,
I posted this question a while back and cant bring up all the responses I got.
 I have my gelding on a mix of green (well it should green up if it ever warms up) pasture and dry native grasses.  It is a 20 acre lot with lots of hills and rocks, it is a great place to raise an endurance horse.  I know people who keep horses on pasture and take them to rides switching from green grass to hay with no problem. The one response I got last time was to start switching him over the monday before the ride and by thurs. feed nothing but hay, that is a problem for me because he would have to be separated from the rest of the horses to be locked up and feed hay.  I think he would be so upset he wouldnt eat the hay and would probably not get the rest he should. Can someone shed some light on the subject for me.  If you posted on this before please do again.
Tammy