Re: [RC] Response to unstable trailer. - desertrydr1

I tow with a 3/4T Chevy Van.  I have a 2H Slant, and normally it pulls really easy, like there's nothing behind the van.  The only time I had any problems was when we were heading down a somewhat windy stretch of highway.  All of a sudden, the trailer was whipping behind me.  Not knowing what else to do, I took my foot off the gas and the brake, and just took it real easy til we could get to a place where we could pull off and check it out.  I've driven in snow and ice quite a bit, so my first reaction to instability is always to slow down without braking.

Turns out we had the big horse loaded in the back.  The difference wasn't much more than 150 lbs between the two, but it was enough to make a big difference in handling.  We reloaded the horses, and never had another problem that whole trip, even going down the windier sections of the Columbia Gorge.

I've only followed Dave Rabe through Endurance News and Ridecamp, but I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.  What a horrible, scary way to crash and lose a horse.  jeri