Re: [RC] martigale redux...enter the kineton noseband - Beth Walker

On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Lynn White wrote:

 .... I was TOLD that a
standing martingale would prevent my mare from acting
up or rearing…Yeah, right!

Hah! In my younger days, I spent a lot of time riding rent-string horses. There was one horse that was always set up with a very short tie-down (standing martingale), as he was a head-tosser and a runaway. The tie-down stopped the head-tossing, but not the running away. He would just tuck his head down to his chest, and "away they go...."

I used to use a Kineton noseband.  This nose
band works kind of like a combo bit, and is easily
removed.   They are kind of like one of those chain
puzzles to put together if you take it off during vet
checks.  When fitted correctly, this device REALLY
works to prevent runaways and one does not have to
resort to a severe bit,  but horses learn to get away
from it by sticking their noses out straight…so I’m
back to using the running martingale again.   Kineton
nosebands are really hard to find here in the States.
I had to order mine from Australia.  I think I have
the only one in the Northwest.  Some people hold that
these nosebands are very severe, but I don't think
they are any worse than a Level 2 Myler combo bit.

I think Dover carries them. I have no experience with them, so I looked them up. The site I went to said that their purpose was to take pressure off the bars of the mouth, and transfer it to the nose. The idea was that many horses misbehave because of fear / pain, and this noseband actually decreases that. This "noseband" doesn't go all the way around the jaw, so there is no restriction. Any pressure on the nose comes only from the pressure applied by the reins.

The closest thing I've seen to this in other areas is called a "bit- lifter". Those are usually made from rubber or leather, though, so they don't have the function of transferring pressure to the nose. They are mainly used when starting young horses -- precisely to limit the amount of pressure of the bit.