[RC] martigale redux...enter the kineton noseband - Lynn White

I like the idea of German Martingales. I can see how
the lateral movement is unhindered.   I know riders
that swear by standing martingales but I personally
think these are unsafe on the trail.  If your horse
takes a wrong step and falls over a steep grade he has
very limited control over his head.  I was TOLD that a
standing martingale would prevent my mare from acting
up or rearing?Yeah, right!  I refuse to ever use a
standing martingale in any terrain other than a flat
arena.  That?s just me though.  I?m obsessed with
?what ifs? and prefer to err on safety.  I use a
running martingale with a snaffle when I have to?like
the start of rides and to the first vet check.  If I
feel like I can get away with it, I unsnap the darn
thing when my mare settles down.  But for me the
running martingale provides just the little oomph I
need to keep my mare from running away from me at ride
starts when I?m more concerned with just staying on
and controlling the forward movement of my horse.

I figure less is better.  Most my conditioning and
schooling is done without a martingale up until a
couple rides BEFORE a race.  That way my mare knows
it?s on.  I used to use a Kineton noseband.  This nose
band works kind of like a combo bit, and is easily
removed.   They are kind of like one of those chain
puzzles to put together if you take it off during vet
checks.  When fitted correctly, this device REALLY
works to prevent runaways and one does not have to
resort to a severe bit,  but horses learn to get away
from it by sticking their noses out straight?so I?m
back to using the running martingale again.   Kineton
nosebands are really hard to find here in the States.
I had to order mine from Australia.  I think I have
the only one in the Northwest.  Some people hold that
these nosebands are very severe, but I don't think
they are any worse than a Level 2 Myler combo bit.

Lynn

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people"

-W.C. Fields