Re: [RC] Mammoth Cave Trails in danger of being closed ? - Barbara McCrary

The budgets for our local state park are so bad now that they need all the help we, collectively, can give. We're going to set up a Trail Master class sometime in 2009 so those who attend can be certified to work on park trails.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Karen Everhart" <rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx>; "Dawn Carrie" <rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx>; "april" <moonlitride@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Mammoth Cave Trails in danger of being closed ?

Yep it is.

I like Teddy Roosevelt's approach to life. Walk softly but carry one very big stick - and don't be afraid to use it. We need to have a dual approach - willing to work with and help land managers support our demand for recreation. Their budgets are not going up. Trails need to be fixed and in many cases rerouted - they need us to help them do it. On the other hand when the time comes - we should not be afraid to pull out a 2x4 and use it. However, if we don't have the credibility because we have stepped up to the plate and showed we care and we are willing to work the 2x4 will do little good.

We need two edges on our swords.

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:
I agree. And because our family has been doing ongoing trail work for the state park adjacent to us and through which we run Swanton Pacific, I persuaded the powers-that-be to waive the $350 special event permit fee in exchange for trail maintenance...here and there, when needed. This is the kind of reciprocal arrangement that works.
Barbara