Re: [RC] [RC] Mammoth Cave Trails in danger of being closed ? - Dawn Carrie

Below is the reply I posted to the new 100 milers list, where this was also posted...

Just a word of advice, from someone who works for the federal government (Forest Service) and thus deals with public input on environmental assessments (EAs)/environmental impact statements (EISs).  The number of "votes" for a particular alternative or option does not matter.  *Especially* in the form of form letters such as this.  The first one to arrive is read and any pertinent issues raised are noted.  All subsequent ones are just added to the "pile," so to speak.  No, they are not counted.  This is not a voting contest.  In order to have any effect, one needs to write original letters, raise pertinent ("significant" in govt. lingo) issues, offer alternatives that are reasonable, explain how the preferred alternative is unsuitable, etc.  A key tip...read the first part of the EA or EIS, the part entitled "purpose and need."  Make sure your offered alternatives MEET that purpose and need.  For example, if part of the purpose and need of this project were to reduce conflict between bikes and horses, then building a separate bike trail (as noted below) would meet that purpose and need (just as the preferred alt. of closing the existing trail to horses meets it).  If stopping excessive trail use/erosion is part of the purpose and need, then a separate trail might also work.  But whatever you propose, make SURE it meets that "purose and need" stated in the document.  Otherwise, your comments will appropriately be dismissed as "outside the scope of this project."  Oh, and don't resort to any kind of inflamatory remarks, accusations, etc. in your letters.  Stay rational, concise, and to the point.  Your input will be received much better, and the equestrian community as a whole will be looked on as a serious, professional-acting community.

Best of luck,
Dawn Carrie, Texas