RE: [RC] [RC] Heavy Riders - Susan Cushing

Iceys seem to be pretty well rounded.  They just look like a blast to ride!!!

They are a lot of fun.  The tolt is a great gait that is so much fun to ride.  I have never ridden the flying pace, but would love to.  They are pretty sane, again like any breed you have to look for the right "type".  They sure can move for little horses, ok they really are ponies-just don't tell my friends that I admitted that.  They do have a lot of hair, even their regular coat is thicker than any other breed I have been around.  They also have short necks and a lot of them are set up high-does not help in the breathing part.  They can have a little higher standing pulse and thicker muscles, so harder to pulse/cool down.  But on the other hand, if you don't mind having a great ride, hearing they are so cute, clipping and braiding, and a more stringent training schedule, you can have a great ride.   We have been somewhat competative on the LD's, but I don't know about the 50's.  I have only done two, both in Vermont and Lappi is not a hill horse and we have not really got any to train on in Mass., so it will be interesting to see how we do in Maine this year with the 50.  I am hoping to be in the middle of the pack and not the turtle as with VT.

Go try them out, but be prepared for the sticker shock.  They can be pretty pricey.  But they sure are a lot of fun.

Susan