Re: [RC] Heavy Riders - Truman Prevatt

This is an interesting question. Since my best horse 6 100's out of 7 was gaited with the Arab not having a 100 in him (my judgement but I know him) but still going strong at 19 I've thought about it often. First - and this probably won't be popular - I'm not sure there any horse out there except maybe Remington that can gait 100 miles and I think he trotted a good bit. Bruce might join in on this. I let the mare do what ever gait she wanted and it was pretty much split between a nice long and low smooth trot, easy canter to hand gallop and a very fast walk. She would throw in a running walk every once in awhile but it was not the primary her gait of choice.

I think that gaited horses even if they trot they don't have as much suspension and probably don't have the mechanical wear and tear as a trotting horse might just because of the suspension. However, it takes energy to go 100 miles or 50 miles independent of gait. At least in my experience I was a lot less tired riding the mare than I am the Arab so in that respect - I was probably easier on her which sapped less of her energy to compensate of the rider.

As far as lateral gaits many tend to be hollow backed - that can't be good over the long run.

Truman

Mellifluous wrote:
One part of this discussion, mainly the part about rider skill having an impact on things is hinging on trotting horses. Lets see if I have this straight. The assumption being that an unbalanced rider that is 20% of a horse's weight on a trotting horse will cause the horse to work harder to compensate for the "sack of potatoes" that is bouncing away. A skilled rider that is heavier would have less of an impact because they are more balanced and work with the horse.

How would gaited horses play into this scenario? While non gaited horses are trotting, the gaited horses are gliding along with their rider sitting perfectly still. Would this make a difference? Could a gaited horse in theory carry more weight than a non gaited horse as there is no trot and therefore less of an impact from the sack of potatoes rider? I can see the rider being balanced on the horse's back having some impact, and I have noticed that many gaited riders tend to have more of a "chair seat." But still, does the lack of bouncing have an impact? Not to mention the way that gaited horse's legs support the horse differently when moving? Diagonal vs Lateral vs Isochronal vs Pacing. Which one is best to support a horse and a heavier rider?

Just some after dinner thoughts.

Mel

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more. <http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join>

--

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H.L. Mencken