Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Heavy Riders - Dawn Carrie

I don't think the fino horses *can* extend their gait into a largo.  They *can* make more forward progress than they do in the showring if allowed to...but they're not going to come close to make decent speed down the trail.  If you look at a fino Paso vs a largo Paso, they are conformed somewhat differently.  It doesn't have anything to do with heart and stamina...Ross's  Paso that has all the miles has an incredible amount of heart and stamina, and he's not the least bit fino.  I've ridden a "fino" Paso, and while it was really cool, there was no way he could have completed an LD in 6 hours doing that gait, and I was urging him to stretch out.  JMO

Dawn Carrie (who competes on Arabs, but likes riding Ross's Pasos for fun)