[RC] Knee Surgery/Recovery -- Human - Val Nicoson

I'm going in for arthroscopic knee surgery in less than 2 weeks and am curious how others have recovered and time frame of such.  I am in my middle 50s with a horizontal and a vertical tear in the meniscus on the outside of my knee (is that posterior?).  I know it locks when  I'm on my hands and knees and I can usually undo it within 5-15 minutes by 'working' my knee around.  The other day I swung out of bed wrong and boy did that knee pull a nasty...could not undo it at all for awhile, more painful feeling, swelling below and to the inside of my knee (now what?!??) and took about 2 days before it felt more normal and I know it still isn't quite 'right'.

Doctor doesn't want me returning to work for 3 weeks as I work on the second level without an elevator (2 flights of stairs).   He doesn't propose to prescribe any physical therapy either...I'll push for this if needed though...we'll see how things go.

Is there anything I can do while off that will enhance my ability to get back to riding again?

Feel free to reply privately since this is off topic at    vnicoson at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Val