Re: [RC] Civilized (was: You should) - Dana B.

k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I confess, I have a horse that kicks (in fact, she kicked me just
yesterday); however, the extent, so far, of her "endurance" experience
is to ride drag (i.e. at the BACK) at an assortment of rides.

I've been enjoying this discussion and totally agree that while there may be abundant reasons for a horse to act out around people, there is never an excuse.  But as one with more miles riding "drag" than endurance, I would have to disagree with Kat here. Having pushed, pulled, and played "guard rail" for other horses any number of times, I would hold drag horses to at least as high as standard as a well behaved endurance horse.  If fact, I not only would expect drag horses to never ever kick or bite another horse, I would expect them to take it standing still.  It's my job to beat off the other horse, not theirs.

You might start out at the back of the pack, but you just never know when you are going to pick up some company :-)

Dana Baldwin
sweep rider

PS  Horses who kick out at other horses often will also kick out at anything that comes up behind them on the trail.  Ask yourself how you'd feel if it was a runner they kicked.  I also ride sweep for the Western States 100, and runners can get behind you without a sound.  In fact, it's usually my horse who tells me they are there.  Thankfully, she uses her ears and not her feet....

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx