Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Why shoot the dog?

The law is pretty clear if a dog is on your property harassing your stock and horses are stock, you have the right to eliminate it. It is probably a lot less clear if the dog not on our property, but I am sure if the dog is putting your horse or yourself at risk and you are not on the dog owner's property then you can take whatever action necessary to eliminate the risk.

While most populated areas do have animal control - that is not true for all rural areas. Where I grew up in Western KY didn't have any animal control when I was a kid and they still don't. We had problems with people dumping dogs "in the country." They would pack up and kill the cattle. Every once in awhile we had to eliminate them and yes it involved camping out with the herd and picking them off. That was the only solution. That is what the Sheriff would tell you to do - in fact one time he sent his son over to help us.

I've been attack by a pit bull while riding my horse in my neighborhood on a public trail. If I had my knife with me, I would have taken care of him as soon as he started to attack. I was dumped, and she ran home only after the dog had ripped hide on her chest - thank goodness she was too tall for him to get her neck which is what he was going for.

There are times where the chase routine doesn't work worth a damn. I did it. I chased the dog a 100 yards - he ran. I turned to go home, he attacked again. I turned and chased him a quarter mile - he ran. I turned to go home again and he attacked again. When I turned to chase again - he kept coming and jumped at her neck.

I chased them home and by the time the owner (a drywall hanger that was working in a new house and though it was okay to bring his pit bull and let it run around loose while he worked) got there I had a dead bead on the dog as it was chasing the mare around my pasture.

He drug the dog off - then he talked to the Sheriff and then Animal control (I lived in Sarasota at the time). I called 911 as I was getting my shotgun and the Deputy notified Animal Control as he was responding. He did pay for all the vet bills and he did pay a fine. If he had not shown up would I have shot the dog in my pasture harassing my horse - in a heartbeat.

If a dog attacks you while you are one your horse the dog is in fact attacking you. He is not only putting your horse at risk for injury - it is putting you at risk for injury. It's a matter to be taken very seriously. Of course there is a difference between a dog protecting its territory and one being dangerously aggressive and they needs to be recognized. And of course you should not take the law into your own hands and just go over and shoot the dog. However, if the owners have been warned and do nothing. If the Sheriff or Animal Control have been notified and do nothing - you have two choices: stop riding or to protect yourself while you do if the dog attacks.

Truman

oddfarm wrote:
Valerie said, "If the dog has actually bitten your horse, and the owner has been warned, etc., I'm afraid you've little choice but to shoot to kill."
What???? It might not be the Sheriff's job to come out on a vicious dog call, but don't any of ya'll have animal control services? I can't think of a single state that I have been in that doesn't have an animal control. They may not have human society's or SPCA's but they always have an animal control. That is who your vet reports your rabies vaccine to in order to make sure all animals have the vaccine. Animal control also investigates animal cruelty, dog fighting, cock fighting and animal bites. Some states have the 3 bite rule where after the third founded report the animal must be put down as they are considered vicious. Sometimes a dog is just a dog and they hunt the wrong animal (pet rabbit, chickens, cats) and kill it. That may be considered a vicious bite, as well.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics