Re: [RC] Malaysia WEC2008 - qualifications criterias - Sisu West Ranch

"...On top of that all horses need a chip now and are all registered in a database. ..."

Properly administered this will be a boon.  Chips are cheap, almost impossible to forge*, and recognized world wide.  All the ID that should ever be required is a registered chip, and the local equivalent of the western United States "brand inspection."**

Ed

*It is possible to crush them, or remove them and then insert a new one thus changing the ID of the animal.  Since the number put in by the manufacturer can not be changed, a horse could have a new ID, but you could not give a ringer horse the ID of another.  (By the way, I don't doubt that given enough money they could be compromised, it would just be much more money than any endurance horse or title would be worth.  There is no security system that is perfect, but all we really need is to make it more expensive to forge than the potential gain.)

**For those who are not familiar with "brand inspection", it is only incidentally associated with hot ranch brands.  It is simply a piece of paper issued by a State government in the USA  which identifies an animal and who owns it.  It carries a description of the animal including any hot brands if present.  I assume that if  and when MT implements the national animal ID system,  chips are used it will also include chip numbers.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640