Re: [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - Lysane Cree

Exactly! Parelli seems the one getting the bad rap these days, but I have seen people take horses into a round pen and run them in different directions because that is the "John Lyons way" and they totally miss the point about when to release pressure and let the horse know he has done the right action. They just run the horse until it gets tired and "gives up" or they (the person) gets bored and thinks the horse has had enough. This is definitely not the John Lyons way, but some people do miss the point. And that's the case in horsemanship/horse ownership generally.

Lysane

Trying to "do" Parelli without understanding the underlying philosophy and
applying it to yourself, not just your actions but your thoughts and your
intentions and the way you approach everything that you do, is like trying
to learn a foreign language by memorizing words but not studying grammar
or learning to conjugate verbs.  It sounds like you're speaking the
language when you say the words, but they don't make any sense and you
can't carry on a meaningful conversation.

Anyone looking for a quick fix won't succeed in the Parelli program ... or
most any other program that I know of.  I've seen people try Parelli and
fail because they just don't "get it" but I've seen just as many people
try John Lyons and Clinton Anderson and fail just as miserably for the
same reason.

And yes, I'm a Parelli L2 grad but I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid. :)

Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819
Mobile, AL (SE Region)