[RC] Parelli - Smith, Dave

I agree with those who note that Parelli is not a “training system” but rather, a way of looking at and – hopefully – understanding your horse’s behavior and then coming up with a method to encourage your horse to do your bidding.  A small, but illustrative, event this past Sunday may better explain what I’m getting at.  My son and I were tacking up our horses.  Lucas was working with Diego, my wife’s horse.  Unbeknownst to me, he had brought along a new bosal rather than Diego’s normal cowboy halter.  I just finished saddling Hermano when I saw Luke struggling to get the unfamiliar bosal on Diego.  He was clearly frustrated because every time he came close to Diego’s head with the halter, Diego reared. While Diego wasn’t threatening him, (his feet weren’t trying to strike out, but it was clearly a dangerous situation for both the horse and my son.)  Meanwhile, Luke was tugging and swearing as only a 25-year-old testosterone-prone young man can.  There was a time I might have found myself doing the same.  But thanks, in large part, to the Parelli program, I quickly understood that Diego wasn’t being ornery, as my son had concluded, he was scared of something brand new being put on his head.  So I went over and took the bosal from his hand, calmed the horse down and began calmly rubbing it all over his body then his neck and finally his face.  Then I asked the horse to lower his head and I simply slipped the strange halter on.  No fuss, no muss.  Now this was no great feat of horsemanship.  And it wasn’t necessary to have learned Parelli to do it. But to Luke, it was like a miracle.  I explained to him that the horse simply needed to be reassured and shown that the halter was harmless. It took all of a minute and a half. Now there was no Parelli lesson showing you how to put a strange halter on a suspicious horse.  Instead, the lessons are about reading the horse, understanding it motivations and then developing a technique to assert your will.  To me, that is the real value of Parelli.