[RC] trail trash and grumpy old riders - CTH

Well my wardrobe will expand.
I get a t shirt for every division :-)
Personally I just like to ride. The distance does not matter , just like to ride.
Benefits to all distances
25    I am back in camp to eat and enjoy the company. I can help volunteer once I am done.
50   Nice day and I make it back in time to visit
100   my friends cheer me on and I get to ride along time

Why anyone would care what distance anyone else rides is a mystery to me.
I have always found everyone to be polite and helpful.
I was so slow on a 50 when I had health problems the 100 milers crewed for me:-)
I rode LD and took juniors when my doctors told me no riding. Heck those 25 miles felt like a 100.
Sometimes they felt like 1000.
When I first started in the sport I was at a ride. Someone showed up with their 100 mile horse and after checking out the awards rode 25 and won. When he went up to get his award one of the mothers said right out load. "Now you are beating old woman and small children. Bet you are proud!"
Everyone laughed, it made an impression on this newbie.
No one remembers who wins but they sure remember who cheats, who treats their horses bad and who has no class.

A rider once told me you aren't "IN" until you ride a 100. She rode a hundred and guess what. She still is not "IN"
Whatever that means. I think it has to do with her attitude and treatment of others not how far she rides.
Now my pet peeve is getting AERC to recognize Alberta miles. Our provincial club has ran for over 25 years with its own sanctioning and AERC rules with a few extras added for good measure. They recognize other countries but Alberta is the only club in Canada that sanctioned their own every other prov. is under AERC. That would make us the Canadian club I think. They should count our miles.
We are starting to sanction AERC so our neighbours will come ride.
Hope some of the US riders come to the Nationals in 2008. It is going to be GREAT! Might even be FEI.

Happy Trails
Paddi