Re: [RC] [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - Karen Sullivan

On 11/14/07, k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Being somebody who turns horses that people can't ride into
horses the people can ride, I am guessing that now about 1/2 of my
business comes from horses that have been unsuccessfully "parelli
trained."  Teaching these horses to be riding horses is the easy part,
the hard part is teaching their owners that they DON'T have to stick to
their new-found religion.
kat
Orange County, Calif.

Some thoughts, Kat's experiences and opinions pretty much closely mirror mine; I looking at horses for sale; the advertised "Parelli trained ones" all seem to have basic lack of respect for people problems and usually some other wierd hole....

Given the big picture; I wonder if Parelli fosters the belief and goal that a well trained horse should do anything the rider asks quietly and without fuss? Because, that is always the end goal in my mind...and I think it was what allowed my sister and I, at age 14 and 16, to buy the cheapest horse at the rental stable becuase that was all the money we had....our horse experience was reading every horse book in the library, fiction and non-fiction.....and taking 3 sets of lessons....hey, go back and read Misty of Chincoteague and the Glenn Balch Tack Ranch series ,for some good basic information<g>...plus, we just expected we would be able to ride the way we dreamed of....

That horse had a lot of problems, hard to catch and extremely spooky..we suffered several runaways and concussion....but key ingredients I think we were successful at, were consistency, and a lot of time and the EXPECTATION that with enough riding and correction, we would develop a fun, independent horse! She did turn into a horse I hopped on bareback and rode alone all over the countryside, around traffic, away from the ranch, etc.  We did this pre PArelli, back in the 1970's....with no clinics or trainers....

I also look to the end result of actual working ranch horses..they are expected to do a job quietly, including being tied wherever, leaving buddies and riding alone, being unfazed by traffic and other machinery....plus much more specific and precise talents (roping, dragging, etc).....A working rancher doesn't spend years developing respect from his horses; they get that figured out in a day or so....and he doesn't get on his horse fearful it will pitch a fit if the other horses in a group leave, and he doesn't ask his fellow riders to slow down becusae if they go too fast his horse might wig out.....so...in the big picture, a horse CAN operate independently of whatever any other horse and rider is doing....and it doens't take $$$$$ and many levels to accomplish this!

Karen
:)