Re: [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - k s swigart

From: "Kathy Mayeda" <kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Competent teachers find a way to present information in such a way
that
their students will benefit from it and use it; they don't make
excuses
for why none of their students seem to be able to learn from them.

kat, you make a broad statement about "none of their students" benefit
from
their program.,  That is so untrue.  You need to take a hard look at
that
statement.

I did not say that none of Parelli's students have beneifitted from the
Parelli program, I made the general statement that good teachers have
students who learn from them, not excuses for why their students don't
learn from them.

So I think Linda's attitutude is just based on a
reality that you cannot have total control about
how a person is going to accept and
utilize any teachings.

Certainly you can't if you mass market it.  And if they believe (know??)
that using the CD program without some additional hands on instruction
from a certified professional, then they shouldn't be selling CDs to
people who have not had this instruction.

If you are an honest teacher, you stop taking money from the people who
are not learning from you and tell them that they need to find another
teacher.

I know a handful of people who have had horses that have benefitted from
their owner's delving into Parelli's techniques (but only if they don't
follow the program too religiously and only take the bits of it that
work for them); however, I know a lot more people who have bought into
the Parelli program that used to have a horse that they could load in
the trailer and take out for a ride and now have a horse that tramples
them every time they bring it out of the stall and won't get near a
trailer to save their lives, but these same people are convinced that if
they just persist with the same failed techniques (the AA definition of
insanity, BTW) that eventually they will have a horse that they are no
longer afraid of.

I will be the first one to agree, however, that the Parelli program is a
very good program for people who never want to ride their horse but want
to feel as though they are accomplishing something by wiggling their
fingers at it.  And I will also agree that there are lots of horse
owners out there who only think they want to ride their horse and are
only too happy to have an excuse not to (which I am assuming the Parelli
program provides because there are so many people who persist with it
for years without ever actually getting on their horse).

Being somebody who gets paid to turn horses that people can't ride into
horses the people can ride, I am guessing that now about 1/2 of my
business comes from horses that have been unsuccessfully "parelli
trained."  Teaching these horses to be riding horses is the easy part,
the hard part is teaching their owners that they DON'T have to stick to
their new-found religion.  And for those that are unwilling to abandon
the religion at least in some way, I tell they than I can't help them
(and don't take their money from them).  It makes me sad, because I
cannot really help their horse either, but undoing brainwashing can be
really hard, and I will be the first to admit that I am not always
competent to do so.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)