Re: [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - Kathy Mayeda

Competent teachers find a way to present information in such a way that their students will benefit from it and use it; they don't make excuses for why none of their students seem to be able to learn from them.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

kat, you make a broad statement about "none of their students" benefit from their program., That is so untrue. You need to take a hard look at that statement.

You have several people here on Ridecamp stating the have benifitted from the program whether or not they label themselves a "Parelli-ite". I doubt that Becky Hart would have a Parelli trainer coming to Lightfoot all the time if people weren't benefiitng from the program, and this is even before Linda Parelli came on the scene and made the program more systemized and achievable. But if one had passed the levels before Linda came aboard, they are incredible horsepeople becasue it was soo much more difficult back then. I have had a couple of Parelli trained instructors that are incredibly gifted in their horsemanship abilities. The one I passed Level 1 with was on tour with the Parellis all this year and I consider her an excellent instructor that pushed my envelope all the time, which I truly appreciated.

I certainly wouldn't bother continuing with it if I didn't see the value of the program in dealing with my particularly over-reactive horse. To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't even bother with the Parelli program if it wasn't for this horse. And it is making a difference with him. I have a horse that listens to me now. Or at least the majority of the time!

The "Parelli-ites" certainly believe they are benefitting from the program, in anything, they get the support they feel they need in overcoming their fears. They are simply coming from a different baseline than the folks here on this forum. To tell you the truth, as much as I think spending hours on the ground wiggling their finger at their horses is ridiculous, they are still spending a lot more time with their horses than a lot of people, in a safe way, so that they can theoretically gain trust in their horses. These owners would have been spending their time blaming their horses for being bad instead of looking for ways to communicate with them if it wasn't for this program.

A lot of them are not getting coaching outside the CD course, so there is a lot of room for misinterpretation of the materials. I also get a lot of regurgitation of "Linda says" and have no experience to back that up themselves. Like religion there is a lot of misinterpretation of the original message. Like you're gonna burn in hell if you're not a Christian (or a Parelli-ite) or you load your horse by walking them into the trailer with them. So I think Linda's attitutude is just based on a reality that you cannot have total control about how a person is going to accept and utilize any teachings.

K.