Clarification Re: [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - Elizabeth Chase

Kathy I loved your synopsis... I think you said it better than me....

Perhaps I could have been more clear: the Parellis are indeed educators of
horse behaviour and horsemanship....

However, during the course of this learning, there are going to be revealed ...
let me put it in positive terms.... opportunities for personal growth .....

That is the area I meant that they are not psychotherapists, counselors, nor
any shade of mental health care professional. Some folks who may benefit from
employing that course of action but don't want what they perceive as a negative
label, may want to seek out a personal coach instead. I don't know why some
feel there is a stigma attached to seeing a mental health care professional,
but I do know that since I have, the bean counters denied me life insurance
saying that having seen an mhcp the risk of suicide is higher. Go figure.

Kristi Schaaf wrote a post about more help for the student in the new Level 1
by bringing in Stephanie Burns as a consultant. I think she did a great job in
helping identify fear and strategies to overcome fear issues. If you look for
her book, Move Closer, Stay Longer, it covers those same strategies.

The thing I found, though, is that some folks actually seem to want to stay
stuck on the fears instead of learning how to work through them and moving on.
I'm still trying to learn about the 'can't' state of mind and how to help
people in a positive way. You know, the folks who say 'Oh, I could never learn
how to do that... (knitting, sewing, a language, drawing, painting,... riding a
motorcycle, riding outside an arena .... )... and then seem to want sympathy
for it... attention without ever having done anything......

The PNH instructors are going to help you with your horsemanship issues.... but
personal issues (er.... growth opportunities) are not their venue.

For example, they can teach you about why anger and horses don't mix, but the
student is the person who has to apply those lessons, and seek other avenues to
solve anger/control/fear issues in their personal lives. There's no shortage of
self-help websites, 12 step programs, and books is one doesn't want to go the
therapist route.

The fact that some students appear to not learn or progress in the 'program'
seems to be directly related to two things: 1) how much personal insight the
person is able to muster, and 2) how much effort the person puts in to solving
their personal puzzles and putting their solutions in action.

Perhaps consider, in a general manner, the possible reasons a person seems to
have a need to 'be the one who is right', to be the smartest most able most
accomplished,  to control, to dominate, to be always taking offense, to get
attention, to avoid taking risks, to anesthetize themselves against the real
world through drugs, alcohol, shopping, TV, work, sex, etc....  and that's just
a few things.

Add horses, and watch what happens... from the other side of the fence...

Liz

--- Kathy Mayeda <kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Competent teachers find a way to present information in such a way that
their students will benefit from it and use it; they don't make excuses
for why none of their students seem to be able to learn from them.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

kat, you make a broad statement about "none of their students" benefit from
their program.,  That is so untrue.  You need to take a hard look at that
statement.

You have several people here on Ridecamp stating the have benifitted from
the program whether or not they label themselves a "Parelli-ite".  I doubt
that Becky Hart would have a Parelli trainer coming to Lightfoot all the
time if people weren't benefiitng from the program, and this is even before
Linda Parelli came on the scene and made the program more systemized and
achievable.  But if one had passed the levels before Linda came aboard, they
are incredible horsepeople becasue it was soo much more difficult back then.
I have had a couple of Parelli trained instructors that are incredibly
gifted in their horsemanship abilities.  The one I passed Level 1 with was
on tour with the Parellis all this year and I consider her an excellent
instructor that pushed my envelope all the time, which I truly appreciated.

I certainly wouldn't bother continuing with it if I didn't see the value of
the program in dealing with my particularly over-reactive horse.   To tell
you the truth, I probably wouldn't even bother with the Parelli program if
it wasn't for this horse.  And it is making a difference with him.  I have a
horse that listens to me now. Or at least the majority of the time!

The "Parelli-ites" certainly believe they are benefitting from the program,
in anything, they get the support they feel they need in overcoming their
fears.  They are simply coming from a different baseline than the folks here
on this forum.  To tell you the truth, as much as I think spending hours on
the ground wiggling their finger at their horses is ridiculous, they are
still spending a lot more time with their horses than a lot of people, in a
safe way, so that they can theoretically gain trust in their horses.  These
owners would have been spending their time blaming their horses for being
bad instead of looking for ways to communicate with them if it wasn't for
this program.

 A lot of them are not getting coaching outside the CD course, so there is a
lot of room for misinterpretation of the materials.  I also get a lot of
regurgitation of "Linda says" and have no experience to back that up
themselves.  Like religion there is a lot of misinterpretation of the
original message.   Like you're gonna burn in hell if you're not a Christian
(or a Parelli-ite) or you load your horse by walking them into the trailer
with them.  So I think Linda's attitutude is just based on a reality that
you cannot have total control about how a person is going to accept and
utilize any teachings.

K.