Re: [RC] [RC] It's worse than I thought (was: Parelli, etc.) - Elizabeth Chase

Excellent question, Karen, and I believe the big picture answer is 'no'.

I think they offer a course of learning by which those who want to understand
horses in terms of their (the horses') behaviour may come to awareness of when
the horse is scared, unconfident, shut down and gone away, or not understanding
what the human wants..... among other topics....  I think they offer a chance
to understand that horses want to be confident in their leader, therefore can
and will test the human.

How the human copes with the information they glean is highly individual... and
as in non-horse life... reveals much about that individual.

I do believe that too many people make the assumption that Parelli methods
guarantee a quiet, unfussy, respecting horse. They want the magic bullet, as
someone referred to it, that going through the motions is all they have to do.

Not so. One needs to understand the principles and purpose that support the
motions, needs to understand the horse, and come to self-understanding in order
to be effective.

Unfortunately what you have seen is what happens when a person does not, as I
said in an earlier post. Studying PNH may open a whole can of personal worms an
individual chooses not to deal with.

When the various aspects come together in a positive way.... well, it's a very
kewl experience. Fortunately I have the guidance of an advanced student, the
will and curiosity, and know that of all I do know about life, it's only the
tip of the iceberg and by no means am I about to be done with learning or
changing. But that was me before Parelli, and this has only provided me another
avenue of learning and pleasure.

Before I had my close mentor, I too, had developed some poor timing, and having
someone else watch me, giving instant feedback has been valuable. For example,
I was unaware, for a time, that I was raising both arms to 'send' my horse in
the circle, so he was not understanding which direction I wanted him to go....
he 'told' me in his terms, which I did not understand at first, and he seemed
obstreperous and disrespectful.... once I learned what I was doing I was able
to clarify my direction to him. I'm learning how to phrase my request in the
form of a 'yes, do that'... instead of a 'no, said negatively'... and to
question and check in with my own state of mind before I criticize the horse.

Some days I can apply that awareness and understanding to my interactions with
people.

Some days I go to the dark side all too willingly. Those days I stay away from
my horses and try to minimize interaction with humans.

Good luck with your training, I hope I've helped you understand and perhaps
that will help develop compassion.

Liz

--- Karen Sullivan <greymare56@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some thoughts, Kat's experiences and opinions pretty much closely mirror
mine; I looking at horses for sale; the advertised "Parelli trained ones"
all seem to have basic lack of respect for people problems and usually some
other wierd hole....

Given the big picture; I wonder if Parelli fosters the belief and goal that
a well trained horse should do anything the rider asks quietly and without
fuss? Because, that is always the end goal in my mind...

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.