Re: [RC] 25 mile rides vs 50 mile rides - Question for David - Barbara McCrary

Here is my take on this issue, and it is based on experience. Most horses, conditioned or not, if ridden not too fast and hard, can do 25 miles. That can't be said for 50 miles, and my experience shows the breaking point is at about 35 miles. After 35 miles, it becomes "work". I rode a running-type QH in the early 70s, and he was just great until 35 miles. After that it was hard work for him and for me, even when he WAS conditioned. Furthermore, I rode a different QH of running type (meaning lighter build and less massive muscle) for 45 miles of a 50 in days when the vets weren't sure of the limiting factors. He was passed through the "lunch" VC with symptoms of fatigue that vets absolutely wouldn't allow nowadays. It took me 12 hours to do 45 miles, and there were indicators that I would be horrified to see now that I know better. This was my very first 50 mile ride and I had no one, or no organization to educate me. Naturally, I was so overtime that my husband came along and picked us up on the trail. I was so disappointed about our failure. But I certainly learned a lot that day.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <FXLivestock@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 11:47 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] 25 mile rides vs 50 mile rides - Question for David

David said:
I don't think the difference between a 25 and a 50 is enough to count. You
see, I think it is the 50
milers who want to take credit for doing something special when they're not
all that special.

Kim responded:
David,
I have to disagree with you on this for what it is worth. I do think
there is enough of a difference between doing 25 miles and doing 50 miles. I am
not talking about competition. I am talking about just doing the miles say as
conditioning miles at home.

I can take just about any one of my horses that has been sitting for a while
on a 25 mile conditioning ride.

Actually, David has a point. Now mind you, I am not recommending this--but it is perfectly do-able... But if a horse has any particular aptitude for the sport, and particularly if he has any previous base at all, he can do a 50 for completion without much homework being done, if he is ridden by a savvy rider. I know, because I've done it (she says shamefacedly), and have had the horses come through in good shape with more in the gas tank. Is it a good idea? No. Is it fair to the horse? Not really. But is it do-able? Heck, yes. But that jump from 50 to 75 requires homework.

Heidi