Re: [RC] 25 mile rides vs 50 mile rides - Question for David - Truman Prevatt

Actually there are a lot of people that have done this. With a horse that has a good base, a few good conditioning rides or a few LD's and a 50 is a piece of cake. Last year I went to Michigan. Because of various injuries I had - my horse had not done a 50 in over a year. It was summer time in FL and about 5 miles of trotting was about all you could manage before either you melted or the horse melted or both. So a mile trot, walk, a mile trot, etc. was about it before we left. I did two LD's back to back to get me ready for a 50 more than for the horse. Then a day to crew for my wife, a day to sight see and do laundry and we did a 50. The horse was just fine with plenty of gas in the tank at the end. We actually probably did more like 55 considering we got lost a few times :-[ .

Was it particularly hard on the horse - I don't really think so because the base was there. One particular rider in the SE who has a 3000 mile horse used to say "I'm riding the first 25 to get him in shape for the second."

Given the 50 is twice as long so twice the opportunities to "take a bad step" lose a shoe and being out there in the heat of the day, the pull rate between the 50 and 25 really isn't that different.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
David said:
I don't think the difference between a 25 and a 50 is enough to count. You see, I think it is the 50
milers who want to take credit for doing something special when they're not
all that special.

Kim responded:
David,
I have to disagree with you on this for what it is worth. I do think there is enough of a difference between doing 25 miles and doing 50 miles. I am not talking about competition. I am talking about just doing the miles say as conditioning miles at home.
I can take just about any one of my horses that has been sitting for a while on a 25 mile conditioning ride.

Actually, David has a point. Now mind you, I am not recommending this--but it is perfectly do-able... But if a horse has any particular aptitude for the sport, and particularly if he has any previous base at all, he can do a 50 for completion without much homework being done, if he is ridden by a savvy rider. I know, because I've done it (she says shamefacedly), and have had the horses come through in good shape with more in the gas tank. Is it a good idea? No. Is it fair to the horse? Not really. But is it do-able? Heck, yes. But that jump from 50 to 75 requires homework.

Heidi

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics