[RC] Rudeness: was Trail Trash-- Julie's comments - Maryanne Gabbani

All this discussion of rudeness is fascinating to me. When I first
began riding my horses in the farming areas of the Nile Valley about 8
years ago I was warned that I would hate it. 99.9999% of riders in
Egypt ride their horses in the deserts although there are miles and
miles of really interesting trails winding along the irrigation canals
that criss cross the valley.  I found myself with two horses whose
injuries required work on firm surfaces and since our desert is deep
sand, I had no choice but to ride in the countryside.  Virtually
everyone I spoke to about riding in the countryside told me that apart
from the challenges involved in getting horses to walk past water
buffalo, diesel water pumps, blowing laundry hanging from balconies
and between trees, not to mention camels, pickup trucks and donkey
carts, the people in the villages and farms would drive me nuts. They
would bug me for money or pens, they would be rude to me and they
would throw rocks at me.  Wow! I really was about to embark on the
masochistic journey of a lifetime...but the horses couldn't be ridden
on sand and the only hard packed trails were in the villages and
countryside.

So I started out and to be honest at first the flapping laundry,
diesel water pumps and little ditches with running water were problem
enough that I didn't have time to worry about rude people. In fact, I
found that they weren't rude at all. They thought that I was a) quite
bizarre and b) highly entertaining...especially when I was wiling to
sit on a horse for half an hour waiting for her to make up her mind to
step across 6 inches of running water.  I had long conversations with
children and well meaning farmers about the logic of waiting out a
stubborn Arab mare and I did find that many of the children would ask
me for "baksheesh" or tips whenever they saw me. I would joke with
them and tell them that I wanted money from them to buy cookies or the
like but made a rule never to give any of them anything but
conversation.  Basically, I went out prepared to enjoy myself, meet
people, chat and waste time, and to be treated as courteously as I
felt I should treat the people I was meeting. I was rarely
disappointed. Once in a long while some kid might say something a bit
off and I found it was usually sufficient not to hear it and go on my
way politely.  A number of years down the line, most of the people in
the area know me and my horses by sight and by name.  If on occasion a
couple of little boys push the envelope of politeness (sorry guys, it
usually is the little boys)  there are now generally some parents in
the area to tell them to leave me alone because I'm a nice lady.

People say that you can't cheat an honest man and I suspect that it's
very hard to be rude to a courteous person...and if someone is rude,
your courtesy and lack of reaction to rudeness just emphasize their
bad behaviour.  On the other hand, I do find that there seem to be
people who absolutely attract rudeness and are so sensitized to it
that they will find it in borderline incidents. I'd rather not ride
with them as a rule.

Maryanne