RE: [RC] LD's are needed! - David LeBlanc

I don?t agree ? time after time, I?ve seen the 1st place finisher come in
last for BC. This sends a clear message that the person is overriding their
horse. IMHO, a BC is a more coveted award than 1st.

You?re also discounting the factor that the horse in the 25 may not be
young, old, or recovering from injury. I did one LD this year on my very
healthy horse with 2000+ endurance miles, simply because it was the first
ride of the season and I wanted to see if we were in condition. We were - we
took 2nd and BC. The 1st place finisher wasn't even 2nd for BC.

The mere existence of the BC gives people a standard to ride against - if
you can come in top-10 AND be in BC condition or close, it tells you that
your horse is in proper shape for what you?re asking them to do. If you're
last for BC (or near the end), it tells you that you're going too fast.

Also bear in mind that this same horse who BC'd a LD ride, and even won a 75
this year, rode a pretty fast 50 and came in 20-something. If you happen to
have a 50 mile horse in that LD, they might well be a middle of the pack (or
top 25) horse operating well within their capabilities. 10th place LD
finisher might not even be going very fast. I once got top-10 once and 2nd
for BC in a 4 hours ride time 25 (2nd BC) - not exactly speedy. Note that I
did that 25 in 2:58 in very steep mountains, on the same horse who later did
75 miles in under 12 hours. A 2:58 25 wasn't a big deal to him, especially
if that's all he was doing that day. I've had the experience of seeing
100-mile horses pass me on an LD, and finish top-10 easily.

People are going to race, no matter what you do. Only LD ride I've seen
without placings in the NW ended in a race. What a BC gives you is a way to
reward those who aren't going too fast, and something to make those that are
think (if they choose to).

I think BC encourages riding the horse within its capabilities, and the mere
process of going through BC gives that rider a learning experience.

If I could rewrite the rules, I'd make LD placing for top-10 based on BC
ordering.

My $0.02 -