RE: [RC] re: mentors during the ride - David LeBlanc

Something to always do is to look up the record of who ever you’re talking to. There’s no fool like an old fool. Just because they have a lot of miles doesn’t mean they’re worthy of your respect or someone you ought to learn from. Someone with say 20,000 miles and an 80% completion rate is a different story than someone with 20,000 miles and a 95% completion rate.

Conversely, think about what you want to learn. I have a dear friend with a lot of miles and an incredible completion record who I’ve learned a lot from. But she never goes very fast, and admits freely that if you want to learn how to go fast and still complete, she’s not the one to learn from. I’d rather complete than come in up front most days, so I treasure every opportunity to watch and learn from someone with 8-9 times more miles than I have.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Stafford
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:17 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] re: mentors during the ride

regarding mentors - please see my other post under the rule change topic.  Remember "experienced" doesn't mean safe or someone who practices good horsemanship.

Good idea about the mentor, just would like to make sure the mentor is "qualified", however that could be determined.

Another example - I once asked an experienced endurance person how to teach my horse to pace or slow down, because she always wanted to race on the trails.  I was told to "..just let her go" and she'll figure it out.

I chose not to.

Cindy