[RC] LD's are needed! - Dodie Sable

Title: Message
Let's look at this from several perspectives.

The new rider (or new horse).  The LD is an excellent training tool to bring new riders and new horses into the sport.  Ride management needs to place emphasis on "optimum time" completers, not "first runners" at an LD.  I like the way the NE handles LD's - completion awards only.  No top 10, no BC, some RM's offer an Optimum Time award.

The RM (Ride Manager).  The LD entries usually help pay for the ride.  As an RM I have discovered there are many costs with putting on a good ride that riders are never aware of.  If I have thirty LD riders and twenty 50 mile riders, what do you think the chances of me breaking even on the financial side of the ride will be if I stopped offering an LD?  Let's assume that 20% of the normal LD riders would do the 50 if no LD was offered.  That's only four more riders added to the line-up.

The older rider.  There are also many people that cannot do a 50 due to health and/or physical reasons and the LD offers them a chance to taste the sport (or continue in the sport) without causing themselves injury.

I personally would be very disappointed if LD's were removed from the sport.

Dodie