[RC] abuse - sherman

I haven’t had time to read all the posts so this might have already been mentioned, but spurring and using a crop or over/under whip IS acceptable behavior in many equine speed sports. So is using drugs to help the horses run even though they have an injury or maybe some arthritis. We may not agree with these activities and it is against the AERC rules, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is considered abuse by all equine owners and likely not a punishable action under state laws. Not all equine owners consider their horses to be their friends either (even though I do).  And I also admit that I will use my rope end to repeatedly slap my horse’s behind (especially my 6 yr old) when she has gone by an object 20 times without ever having an issue and now this time she doesn’t want to do it. Yes, I know that this was not the situation at Mariposa, all I’m saying is that spurring and using a crop or whip is considered by many to be acceptable in many situations, although hopefully not on an exhausted horse.

Kathy