[RC] Ultium and "your" mash - Mollie Krumlaw

I was included in the testing of Purina's Ultium product and have a little
understanding of how it works.  This is VERY over simplified , but the
reason Ultium seems to help high strung horses is that the feed is
formulated for performance horses so it is "time released." Most feeds will
give the horse a high from the carbs/sugars shortly after feeding, which
then tapers off during a period of time depending on the feed.

Yes it is higher in fat, 12.4% and I feed it 100% of the time.  At the time
of the testing I was riding about 400 to 500 miles a year on a mare doing
endurance, CTR, with a couple of 100s.  I noticed a big difference in her
attitude, how she held her weight, and she easier to compete.

I've been using it since my "test rat" days and love it.  The horses look
great, you really do feed less of it, and they are performing very well.
We've been starting a group of young horses for the last few years and
they've been great on it. They also seem to be a little easier to work
with.  I noticed a significant change in one of my "problem children" and he
became much more stable to work with.

My only problem with it was when I mix it in a "slurry" (mash to the rest of
the world) it looks pretty nasty and because it's pelleted breaks down very
easily.  My mare didn't like it as well so I got in the habit of buying
Purina's "Race Ready" for slurries.

I mix soaked beet pulp, Race Ready, Perform -n- Win, carrots, and a small
box of raisins in our mess and the horses dive into it.

MKS
AERC #8945