From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of FXLivestock@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:09 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Ultium Question

When Ultium came out, I believe in 2004, it was described as a high fat feed.  If I recall, it was over 12% fat.  Recently, I thought it was in the best interest of our horses to reduce the amount of fat we feed at competition.  In fact, I have heard that it is best to stop feeding oil/fat a few days before a ride.  For those who use Ultium,  do you consider the fat content in Ultium a problem for feeding at rides?  Just curious as this is one of the highest fat concentrates/grain rations on the market that I know about.  If not, why is it recommended to reduce fat/oil intake during competition and right before competition.  Of course, I am assuming that Ultium still has 12% + fat content.  Perhaps the formulation has changed?

Kim Fuess

AERC #6648