Re: [RC] coggins - customary - Sisu West Ranch

I don't think that was ever in the proposal. There is a lot of scare BS going around the country.

The idea of reporting each time a horse left your property, probably came from requirements after a sale or permanent move. Please note, that in large areas of the West, you must have brand inspection now if your horse is to leave its home county. I do know that papers are seldom checked, but the laws are still there. In MT you can get either a temporary inspection or a permanent one. The temporary are cheaper and useful for livestock being sold out of county. (an example would be our neighbor, a Paint breeder who would find it cheaper to get a temporary inspection when she sells a yearling overseas). The permanent inspections are laminated and are similar to the registration papers you have for your car. They are used by the next owner to get his inspection, and thus proof of ownership. In MT they do reference the breed papers and numbers, but grade horses, mules etc. get them also.

The aim of the NAIS is not to hassle animal owners, it is to enable easier control of disease. We all want our beef to be free of hoof and mouth disease, TB, brucellosis, mad cow disease. We also do not want our horses exposed to EIA and VS. Identification of the origin of a sick animal is key to the control of dread disease.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875