Re: [RC] coggins - customary - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tx Trigger" <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx>
...I had
driven about 6 hours to pick him up, and knew the chance of him having EIA
was pretty slim, but wanted that "out" of being able to return him if it
some how was positive.

You gambled.  True, with an almost certain chance of winning.
Hopefully, the only horses you gambled with were your own.
Just to be argumentative (in a friendly way :-), if it is illegal to
transport a horse with a positive Coggins, how were you going
to return him to his previous owner?

It was the discussion with the state vets that opened my eyes
to my legal responsibilities as a ride manager.  The odds of an
infected horse turning up at a trail ride, particularly in
Massachusetts, were real close to zip.  But if one were to
attend and I hadn't made at least some effort to try to determine
its status and get it off the grounds because it didn't have a
certificate, AND its test turned up positive some time later AND
the owner disclosed during the interogation by the state vets that
she'd brought the horse to our ride, I was going to have anywhere
up to 60 *very angry* riders.

Even if no horse ever turned up positive, a "surprise raid" would
still result in fines and a really pissed off park manager, since
checking for Coggins was also written into our special use
permit.

Linda Marins