Re: [RC] Founder - Hoovinit

My mare foundered badly 9 years ago due to metabolic AND mechanical issues in the hoof; with her, the hoof that is worse is a bit more upright and somewhat club footed.  She's been barefoot for the past 8 1/2 years and on a grass hay/ low carbohydrate diet and is doing very well.  I tried treating the problem with traditional veterinary methods (corrective shoeing and high doses of bute) but she actually got WORSE; so I turned to natural trimming methods and she is doing great.  I use hoof boots to ride her.  There is lots of good info at www.thehorseshoof.com about founder and other hoof issues and how to get healthy hooves.