Re: [RC] question re: appropriate breed of horse for newbie withvarious interests - Quentin & Libby Llop

I'm coming to this discussion late and may have missed something, but I
have an Andalusian stallion that I use exclusively for cross breeding. I
fell in love with the Tres sangres (3 way cross of Andy, TB and Arab) in
Spain and am slowly heading that way.   My first crop of crossbreds are
four year olds all drive very nicely and are doing fast foxhunts of 20
miles and jumping everything.  My personal very favorite is my
Standardbred / Andalusian cross. I call her my Standalusian and she does
have an endurance build.  I bred her just for myself and there may not
be another one anywhere, but if you find one - grab it.   Libby

Jackie Causgrove wrote:
Andys crossed with a QH is a common cross but there are some very nice
crosses with Tb and/or Arabs.
And with the Andy cross with a Tb or Arab, there isn't as heavy
muscling.  So, you do lose some of the classic Baroque look.  Also,
some say that you lose some of the "mind set" of an Andy as well.

But then again, I'm just starting out.  I'm not attempting to be
competitive in any way.  Just out to learn, take care of my horse and
myself, have fun and finish short rides.  If I accomplish all of that,
I'll be happy.  Like I said, newbie goals.

I really thank everyone for their input.  I've very much appreciated
hearing about the different type/breeds of horses.  It's been very
informative.

Now, I just have to do look around and find what fits "me".
I like horse shopping!!!

Jackie

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the
way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

http://mail.yahoo.com