[RC] falling of the horse - k s swigart

Kathy Mayeda said:

This mare will spook at anything and will
look for things to spook at, so she's not
one I ride with a lose rein. Lot's of Arab
eating rocks and trees today! Such drama.
But she didnt' really do anything stupid, she's
never done a 180 with me the whole time I
owned her, and she's never sent me to the ER.
Probably because she keeps me on my toes.

This is why you should be looking where you are going whether you are
riding a spooky horse or not.

A number of months ago I was speaking with my shoer (about a horse whose
owner he had recommended to me to help fix the horse's "problems"), and
I made a joke about how all the shoers and other trainers recommended
the difficult horses to me because they know that I will ride anything.
He laughed and then asked, "Isn't that kinda dangerous?"  To which I
responded, "No, not really."

When he asked me why not, I told him, "Because it makes me careful."

After thinking about that for a minute he said, "You know, that makes a
lot of sense.  All the horses that I have been seriously hurt by are not
the difficult ones, but the good ones, and it was because I was doing
something stupid and wasn't paying attention."

As evidenced by Kathy Mayeda's own related experience.  The ones that
put you in the emergency room are the ones you least expect it
from...and they might even do it twice, if you don't learn from the
experience and continue not to expect it from them.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)