[RC] Falling off - Fred & Cynthia Ross

I have to admit, I also HATE falling off. And as I get older I like it less. I won't keep a horse that makes a habit of spooking and dumping me. They all have moments, that's a given. "stuff" happens. I've had my QH mare for 16 years and have only come off her twice and thousands of miles of riding her. And both times it's because she fell in bad conditions. The mule I am now riding is young but very steady and sensible.

I had a Standardbred mare for 4 years that was "excitible" and unsafe in traffic. I could not cure her of this problem. I never got dumped but after having her bolt off or jump into ditches enough times that It was starting to take the fun out of riding, I knew I had to part with her even though I really liked her a lot. I will never waste 4 years on a horse like that again.

So, as someone else said, how much is riding THAT horse really worth to you?