[RC] bucking the property owner (was: bucking convention) - k s swigart

Alexis Mills said:

Because I didn't give in to their bullying and
got a second opinion from a vet who declared
him sound (and said his feet are so tough he
doesn't even need boots), I was evicted from
the stable and will now have to drive more
than an hour to see my horse.

To me, this is not a question of "bucking convention" by choosing to
keep a horse barefoot despite receiving a veterinary opinion that the
horse has sore feet by going to find a different vet to give a different
opinion, but rather it is a question of "bucking the property owner" and
a difference of opinion as to whether the horse is sore and if anything
should/could be done about it.

I cannot find fault with the property owner here; I know many boarding
facility operators who have called up owners and insisted that the owner
call a vet or come out and do something about a horse's poor condition
because they cannot stand watching it any more.  Of course, boarding
facility operators cannot require owners to treat their horses, but they
can tell them that if they don't they need to go somewhere else.

And these weren't questions of conventional hoof care: there have been
horses in poor condition that need to be wormed, foundered horses that
stand there in agony, arthritic horses that cannot stand, a horse with a
scratched cornea that was getting infected...

If I were running a boarding facility and had a boarder who had a horse
that I thought had sore feet (whether barefoot or not) and the owner
refused to do anything about so I went to the trouble of consulting a
veterinarian on the horse's behalf and the vet agreed that the horse was
sore but still the owner refused to do anything about it, I, too, would
ask this owner to take their horse somewhere else.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, even your unconventional opinion,
about proper horse care, but you had better be able to convince the
property owner where you keep your horse that it is adequate if you want
them to let your horse stay there.

I can remember the first place I went to look for boarding for my 3 y.o.
colt.  After the manager showed me all the available stalls I mentioned
that the one on the end looked to be a good choice because I had a colt.
He said, "Is he cut?"

And I said, "No."

Then he asked, "Are you gonna cut him?"

And I said, "No."

To which he responded, "Well, you ain't keepin' him here."

Yes, I was bucking convention by not gelding my horse but rather keeping
him entire.  And no, I don't tell other people who choose to geld their
horses that they shouldn't.  I respect their decision while at the same
time not all of them do the same with mine.

But even many of those who respect my decision to keep my stallion will
still tell me, "You ain't keepin' him here."  And they are perfectly
within their rights to do so.  It is, after all, their place.

Alternatively, you can just board your horse at a facility where the
owner doesn't care about the condition of the horses.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)