[RC] GSFTR - Laura Marshall

Dear All, Home from the Santa Fe Trail Ride/Race...whatever...I'd like to make a quick response to my quick review of the gazillion ride camp digests I scanned about sanctioning the event. I am glad it was sanctioned by AERC, not for points or for miles, but welfare of the horse. Due to AERC's involvement we had excellent vets (four vets to about 25-63 entrants one of which was fully equipped mobile treatment Van), water tanks AND sponge tubs every five miles (over 100 tanks and 100 tubs on trail plus those in camps...thank you Chief, we couldn't do it without you), plus overall well marked trail. The organizer, Rob Phillips did not come from an endurance background, but because we (AERC) were involved the primary things for our horses and sport were in fact covered. Rob laid the bones for a wonderful ride in the first year. I believe that one of the biggest improvements that will occur next year will be a manager from an endurance background (signing on NOW) and a change of hauling, camping, start logistics.
  The death of the two horses on Sept.11, 2007 is just horrific and so heart wrenchingly sad I can't explain the weight on my heart and the sobbing that comes when I think of seeing Valentine that morning before the start so shining and bright red chestnut. LD Mr. Valentine is from my region. 2006 we all watched him develop in the competent hands of Kathleen Prescott (while owned by Katy Tynes) from a youngster to a horse with some base and knowledge. The members of OCER didn't hear about a horse, we lost one of our kids...and it is not OK. I personally don't think his life would've been saved by another half mile run-off distance, calling it a ride vs. a race, rules or less rules, sanctioned event by AERC or no, ... it will be investigated, thank goodness by AERC.
  The perception of the general public is that all long distance equine events are endurance: whether they are CTR, NATRAC, AERC, or fundraiser for local charity trail ride, our community is better off being involved and helping than standing aside. That is not to say we should sanction all types of events, but that we can always bring our knowledge, electrolytes, chainsaws and smiles to anyone that wants to ride a horse down the trail.
                                         Happy Trails, Laura M19220