RE: [RC] [RC] So many questions, no little time - Ranelle Rubin

Robert,

You definitely don't have to have a crew for a 50..! I would find out before hand though where the lunch stop is. If it is in camp, no biggie..you will be back at your trailer for lunch. Have a mash soaking while you are out, and you are set when you get in.

If it is an away vet check, you will need something in which to send your stuff. You don't need a fancy crew bag either. Funny thing is, I have bought several as gifts, but haven't prioritized the $ for one for myself. I have a blanket bag I found at a tack swap that actually works better. It has two sections, one for hay, and one for everything else. Things you will want:

Hay (unless the ride provides hay you want to feed your horse)

Mash ( put mine in a ziploc bag and use a small plastic tub from the dollar store-lighter than the rubber one and not a big deal if I lose it) Email me privately if you want suggestions for your mash.

Blanket or rump rug (If it is a cool ride, which November usually is, I highly recommend a good rump rug. (RIDE WITH IT AT HOME FIRST!) You will still want a blanket at the lunch stop after you take your saddle off.

2 buckets-one for water, one for sponging- I have a two way clip on the handle of my crew bag and my small plastic buckets are clipped to it.

A sponge, unless you are carrying one on your saddle-which I typically don't the first half as it is usually cool. If there is an away vet check, I will normally pack my saddle sponge in my crew bag and then put it on my saddle for the afternoon.

Electrolytes if you use them

Food for you-unless you are doing a Duck ride, then Annie makes great lunch! Think about whether you want to bother with sending an icechest, and pack non-perishables like PB &J if not.

Lots of carrots! My horse gets tons of carrots before, during, and after a ride.

One trick I use at the lunch stop is I put my mash in the bottom of the pan, put alot of water in it, then top it with hay pushed into the water, but not stirred. What this does is give my horse what I call "noodle soup" with wet hay that tastes like his mash. He loves it, eats the hay, then gets down to the mash. If he eats mash first, he tends to eat less hay which I don't like. He knows the drill, but I have heard some horses won't eat this, so "try this at home"! Maybe after your next long training ride.

Another thing that "lives" in my crew bag is a small first aid kit with stuff for me and my horse.

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx