RE: [RC] BC judging - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

On some rides, though, ride management does give out an award based
just on the ride card vet scores alone.  This one isn't an official
BC, and they call it something else, and doesn't count for any
points, but I would think it would mean something to the rider that
got the award.    It is just an 'extra' that ride management gives
out, but I've seen a suggestion from time to time that this type of
award be made official.  Variation in scoring on the vet cards would
become a factor then, I would think (and could be why such an award
hasn't been adopted - just a guess).

If you look at the form used for BC evaluation, there's an area where the
vet scores are tallied up, which are derived from the previously mentioned
recovery, hydration, etc.  That vet score is then part of the equation that
then factors in rider weight, finish time, etc.  So the horse with the
highest vet score is not always the horse that wins BC.

At least when I head vet a ride, I always like to announce which horse won
high vet score, which may or may not be the same horse that won BC.  Even if
it isn't an "official" award, I think it's a nice distinction to make public
note of.  That isn't a given either, though---if there aren't any horses
worthy of BC, then there also might not be any horses worthy of a high vet
score (if the high vet score was still abysmal).  That's never happened at
any of the rides I vet, but it could happen (and has, at other rides).

There have been a few rides where high vet score was not restricted to just
the top ten horses, and yes, just looking at the vet cards might not be
entirely objective.  Most of the time, there's usually a few horses that
makes the vets all go, "wow" all day long, so it's not too hard to pick,
especially since it's not an official award that will make or break a
national placing.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM