RE: [RC] [RC] Parelli (and other clinicians)-BAD BEHAVIOR - Dodie Sable

Ah - another one of my favorite lessons.

Go watch a well established herd of horses.  When one gets out of line, they
get a head shaking or foot stamping warning (in my case, it's a loud "HEY"
with a shaking of a finger in their face).  If the first warning doesn't
take, that horse will get ears pinned and teeth snaked out at them (in my
case, it's a swift smack with a screech of "YOU BETTER CUT IT OUT")  if the
first two warnings go unheeded, that horse will get chased by flying feet
(in my case, it's me backing them down the aisle way popping them with the
lead line).  In 99% of the cases, the first two warnings are enough if the
horse knows the other horse (or human) is boss.  Doesn't mean those two
horses aren't friends, doesn't mean those two horses don't love each other
to pieces, just means that one is of higher hierarchy than the other and the
second one must demure to the first one's conditions of co-habitation.

And yes, with a strong willed "herd boss" horse, the human sometimes has to
resort to a heavy handed method of correction.  I did not say "training", I
said correction.  For the most part, I've found the bossier horses easier to
train than the submissive lower end of the totem pole horses.

So, again, I believe that the clinicians give people a "generic, broad
spectrum" of ideas and it's up to the person using the techniques to use
those ideas in conjunction with their horse's needs and behavior patterns.
And that doesn't happen with a "newbie" because they don't understand
there's more than meets the eye...they take the training videos as gospel.

I always say, "A non-horse person with excellent common sense can train more
effectively than a highly skilled horse person with no common sense."

Dodie