[RC] Clinicians - Fred & Cynthia Ross

I have to admit that when someone tells me their horse was trained with "Natural Horsemenship" or "Resistance Free" training. Be that Parelli, or whoever's method, I am immediately on guard. These horses have been some of the rudest, unsafest horses I've been around. And their owners are not enjoying them, though they hate to admit it. As someone else mentioned, HUGE gaps in their training.

I was given a 4 yr. old mare once that was totally green. Barely halter broke. Never been out of the pasture she was born in or away from her mother. I brought her home and was trail riding her within 3 weeks. She was a wonderful horse. I rode her in large groups, rode her on a drill team, in parades.  She was safe and gentle enough for my step-children to ride. Never kicked and was steady and dependable on the trail. I eventually sold her to a friend who, through "Natural Horsemanship" resistance free training based on Parelli, has totally undone everything I taught this horse. This horse is now pushy and will walk all over people, kicks other horses when riding, is balky out on the trail. It breaks my heart to see this horse acting like this.

BUT, many people do not have the talent or ability to train their own horses or learn to ride without help. There is certainly a need for good trainers, clinicians, etc. And I often think that a trainers "program" in not .... applied appropriately and as intended by the trainer. Like Monty Roberts and his "join up". (Not a Monty groupie, just using for an example) People watch this, then go home, put their problem horse in a round pen, and manage to "join up". They think that is all there is to it and now all their problems are solved. When they get hurt next time they ride, Monty Roberts is now a bad trainer. Gads, "joining up" is just the very begining of working with the horse. I think many times a trainers methods are not properly followed or even understood by those trying to apply them. But the trainer ends up getting the bad rap for it when a horse supposedly trained by thier method hurts someone.

Cindy R. in Maine