Re: [RC] [RC] Parelli (and other clinicians) - Karen Sullivan

On 8/25/07, Dodie Sable <dodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have to add my own two cents worth on ANY system taught by clinicians.

They are all trainers with a plan and they have documented their plan
generically, to market to the average horse owner.

Give me come credit on resisting this thread for along time....but.....
First...my disclaimer-I have friends and aquaintences that have years
and years into horses and horsemanship that are involved in Parelli
clinics and methods. They were ALREADY good horse-communicators; and
are using Parelli to learn new ways of communication; have fun, etc.
They were ALREADY people I would not hesitate to buy a horse from; or
sell a horse too (one of my biggest compliments).....and hopefully
they know who they are here <g>

That said, if Parelli is hoping to catch the attention of the average
horse owner; I have to speak from 17 years of observation and offer
that I have seen far too many rank beginner's and a fair number of
kooks adopting this program.  Dave S., you get a ton of credit from me
for successfully traiing a mustang.....not something that a lot of
new-to-horse people accomplish; ?I hazard a guess that the majority of
BLM mustangs adopted by beginner types languish in backyards
somewhere...one of the best thing about ANY program is that it does
MOTIVATE people to go out and work with their horses!  Dave; you are
not in the "kook" category!  Sounds like Parelli gave you a way to
proceed with your horses that is working very well, which is just
great......

This post is not to adress the "people" so much who are involved, but
the HORSES.

But one more story......some years ago a friend sold a pretty little
Palomino mare, that had been used as a childs horse, did junior rider
drill team and trail riding and many horse camping trips.  She was
trained by my friend, who had no background with any trainer,
clinician or whatever that I remember, just a good common-sense rider
who married also into a horsey family.  Some ladies came out to see
the horse.  They "had" horses, were looking for another family member.
They were $tep by $tep going through the Parelli program.  My friend
demonstrated what this little mare could do in the round pen
first....walk, trot, canter, side-pass....leg yield, back....all
lightly and beautifully; did a few rollbacks, etc. They were scared to
death to ride the horse.....and what came out of the ensuing
conversation was that they did not RIDE their horses that they had
owned a YEAR!. Even though their hores were trained to ride...they
were trudging through a year of ground work first!!!
Needless to say, our minds were "boggled."

Whoops, this post gettting to long.....I was going to talk about the
HORSES......next post
Karen